Broken But Not Defeated-Chapter 3-Courage

CLICK HERE TO READ CHAPTER 1-HEAL
CLICK HERE TO READ CHAPTER 2-STRENGTH


THE TIMELINE
Nov 4- trimalleolar fracture (3 broken bones in ankle)- temporary cast
Nov 6- fly home
Nov 7- see Dr C orthopedic surgeon -redid temporary cast
Nov 9- surgery- 1plate with 8pins on fibula, 2 screws into tibia -new temporary cast
Nov 14-stopped taking pain meds
Nov 19- post op followup-new walking boot-but no walking, can take off to bathe only, still elevate and rest
Dec 17-xrays/bones healed, new stirrup brace and can walk/move as much as i can until pain, physical therapy can start, long distance walking in boot, short walking in brace
Dec 19-first PT
Dec 21-meet with Brooks to test race wheelchairs for The DONNA
Dec 22- 2nd PT
Dec 23- 2.4 miles in sports wheelchair/cross training
Dec 25- 4 miles in sports wheelchair/cross training
Dec 26-3rd PT
Dec 27-4th PT-walking with one crutch with Big Bertha boot
Dec 28-5th PT
Dec 29-11.5 miles hand cycle
Dec 31-6th PT
Jan 2-7th PT walking with two crutches with Lil Bertha brace
Jan 3-18.2 miles hand cycle
Jan 4-8th PT
Jan 5-4 miles in sports wheelchair/walking with one crutch and Lil Bertha brace
Jan 7-9th PT
Jan 8-walking short distances with no crutch no brace
Jan 9-10th PT
Jan 10-21.2 miles hand cycle
Jan 11-11th PT, walking with Lil Bertha brace and no crutch, cane for long distance
Jan 12-walked 1 mile with cane



JAN 2-RECOVERY DAY 54-I FEEL MY CALF! 
Physical Therapy day 7 had me feeling something I havent in months....my calf muscle!! Doing my normal exercises on my foot, I can tell my flexibility is getting better as its getting deeper into my calf and actually activating the muscle! Finally! I can start putting some muscle back on!!

I raised my concern about not being in the Lil Bertha brace that the doctor sent me home with two weeks ago. It seems every time a physical therapist looks at my chart, they get confused. But the one today said absolutely, no more Big Bertha boot, start trying to walk with the Lil Bertha brace.....however  that means im back to 2 crutches. I literally had like 4 days on the solo, if that. Now my neck is hurting again because of all the leaning back into them. But my foot is feeling better every day and i know it will be quick where ill be back down to 1 crutch and this time with just the brace.

It was a full day of work....my first time I made it the full 8 hours! My neck hurt all day. I even had to put on a heating pad. So i did not get in any sort of work out, especially since tomorrow is the next hand cycle day!

WORKOUT-PT (2.5mile bike, stretches/massage, towel sweeps, marble pick up, toe raises, calf raises, balance board, weight changes with no brace)
HEALING-calcium, Vit D, cocoa butter, B12, epsom salt bath


JAN 3 -RECOVERY DAY 55-EASY PEASY!
Today was the 2nd meetup with Brooks Adaptive Sports and Recreation to use the hand cycle. The plan was to go down the Baldwin Rail Trail 18 miles roundtrip. I was a little nervous as last time I did 11 and I was taxed. But I ended up riding with the support girl Chelsea and another cyclist. I started out pretty fast and it felt a little easy, but then the other girl ended up pacing us and we slowed down quite a bit. At first I was thinking I wanted to just go fast. But overall, I think it was good that we took it nice and easy. There was even a couple times I forgot I was even cranking the cycle! The only thing that got tired on my was my butt being in the same position the entire time! We chatted a lot and I think that helped pass the miles too.

However, I think I really am going to have to focus on speed in the next weeks because Im going to need to feel more of a challenge, since I kind of am comparing it to the marathon. I was told there are some pretty serious cyclists coming from out of town and competing so maybe I need to figure out their times and try to push for close to that.

First Coast News also came and interviewed me for a segment they always do called "Why I Run Donna.' But of course they wanted to know why I continue to run or participate in Donna after being injured. I practiced everything I wanted to say on the (long) bus ride to the trail, but as soon as the interview started, it all went out of my head. It was fun despite all the outtakes they had to do. Im interested to see how it turns out pieced together.

When I got home, I was so exhausted I need to eat and rest. The bus ride roundtrip ended being about 3 hours with all the pick ups. I wish I knew a friend that could just come out with us next time. There will be 4 more meet ups before race day.

After resting, my foot felt extremely well and I felt like I had so much flexibility in it that I havent and there was no pain. I really felt like I could walk. So, I tried to walk a couple steps with just one crutch and the Lil Bertha brace, and I did it! I am super excited to get into PT tomorrow to practice my confidence and get down to 1 crutch! I just hope I dont tighten back up!

WORKOUT-18.2 miles hand cycle
HEALING-Calcium, Vitamin D, B12, coconut oil and wintergreen, ice pack, cocoa butter on scars,
frankincense massage on leg


JAN 4-RECOVERY DAY 56-2 MONTHS SINCE THE FALL
Its a constant struggle of good and bad days. I was just thinking I was having such a long streak of feeling good....and then BAM!... it slaps you in the face. Its just such an overwhelming feeling of no one understanding. A feeling of being alone without help. A feeling of being overwhelmed with bills that just keep piling up and there is no money to pay it. Yet I still have to take time off work unpaid to go to physical therapy, pay money to be driven to physical therapy, pay money to have groceries delivered when literally the store is just across the street and it used to be so easy to just run there real quick. And now its the New Year and the doctors are making me pay cash and explaining I have to pay my deductible all over again. ITS THE SAME FRICKIN INJURY I ALREADY PAID FOR! I know thats how insurance works, but cmon. It feels unfair. A feeling of not being able to do the things I love, like travel. When two friends ask me to go on two trips that are super discounted and easy to do and i REALLY need an escape, but I cant because, well, theres those bills and lack of income and to top that off Im still not off these crutches to be able to even walk on the sand and Im supposedly not to fly for another month or so because of this swelling. A feeling of worry on if these physical therapists even know what they are doing. I see so many different ones and they are all so different in treatment and Im the one that asks THEM shouldnt I be doing this or that by now? Why am I still on these crutches??? And then the one I had today tells me hes AGAINST The Donna marathon. The one I told him it was my goal to get back to running! WHAT? You are in a field to help people get back to their physical goals and when they tell you what it is, you dont knock it down! A feeling of being pulled between being too tired and wanting to have a good workout. A physical feeling in my neck that has been aching all week and all i want is someone to massage my shoulders. A feeling of why havent I even heard from the friends that I thought would be the most understanding and supportive during this process. Where are they and why have they disappeared?

WHEW. I had more in me than I thought.

The good thing is, I was able to slide on a sneaker today. THE sneaker that made me fall. (I know, I know, Im protracting and putting the blame on the shoe) Its still too tight to be able to walk with, so I am still in the Crocs for now. But they actually have not been that bad. Im in the Lil Berta brace all the time now with two crutches, but Im trying to practice with just one. And also practice barefoot. Its incredible the difference in feeling being in a shoe and being barefoot. When Im in the shoe I dont feeling hardly any stretching. When Im barefoot, its all stretching. I have 1 more week of PT before I see the doctor for more xrays. I have no idea what he is expecting or what will happen afterwards, but I am ready to be off these crutches and start walking distances, than just my house.


WORKOUT-PT (2.6miles bike, stretches, manipulated joint moves, pick up marbles with toes, balance board, calf raises, heel press downs)
HEALING-Golden Milk, Calcium


JAN 5-RECOVERY DAY 57-IM NOT WAITING AROUND
Im still a little perturbed by the physical therapist yesterday that pretty much blew off the Donna Marathon. He instantly didnt focus on my goal, but focused on how HIS life will be impacted because he lives in the neighborhood that the course will now run. What has our world come to? You are in the field to care about others and you are being so self centered to those that are the most vulnerable and in the most need. I literally walked (well hopped on crutches) out of there confused. No direction on what I should work on, no goal given to do over the weekend to have achieved by Monday at my next appointment. It just makes me realize, Im in this on my own. Its not to say that all the therapists are this way, but still, none of them are as focused as I am. I tell them my goal of wanting to run a half marathon by July and they are unsure. Even the surgeon when I told him that I was going to use a wheel chair or hand cycle for Donna all he had to say was 'that is so hard.' People! Where is the passion, the drive, the focus, the determination, the motivation, the encouragement?

So today, just like every day the past week or so, I wake up and I feel like I could almost walk. Its a feeling hard to describe, but its deep inside me that I feel like I can. So, I do my stretches and i start with the 2 crutches, then one crutch and a half, and then 1 crutch. And then i suddenly find myself all over the house all day with just 1 crutch and the Lil Bertha brace and no pain. Everything I do standing still, i use no crutches and put weight into my right foot all the way up to my toes of my left foot. I almost feel like I could even lift my left foot, but dont want to push it. There were even a couple moments today I felt like I could probably walk with no crutch, but I want to push that either. But I am so excited for the progress and I cant wait to come in to PT on Monday and show them "I" did this!

It was a beautiful day out and its been a hot minute since I used the racer wheelchair, so I took it out. I almost didnt want to. It is so hard not only physically but mentally. But I know I need to for the cross training. I decided to go outside the 3 block radius and go over the bricks. I made it (it was a long stretch) and then the road was soooo bumpy. I suddenly realized the 3 blocks on my side where my house is, is new pavement and smooth and on the other side of the bricks is old pavement and bumpy with cracks. I almost turned around but didnt want to go back over those bricks so soon. So I pushed through. I ended up going 4 miles today. It was hard, but I took breaks and I felt accomplished when it was all said and done. People that actually do marathons in these chairs are absolute hard core! I am so fortunate there are other kinds of chairs these days and I am able to use a hand cycle for Donna!


WORKOUT-4 miles in racer wheelchair
HEALING-Golden Milk, Calcium, Vitamin D



JAN 6-RECOVERY DAY 58-IM DOING THIS
Ever since PT told me they had the wrong surgery date on my chart (Dec 9 vs Nov 9) I feel like I have been behind in treatments. And this burning urge inside me that tells me 'you can walk.' I tried 1 crutch today with Lil Bertha brace. There was absolutely no pain. My steps are short, as when i step far, the foot bends to much and thats where the tightness comes. But none of the ankle hurts. I walked a lot within the house all day. I even wondered if I could do with no crutches because it seemed a little too easy. So I took a couple steps with furniture and crutches nearby and I did just fine! See, I knew I was behind! I would have done more, but I feel like I need someone to agree, yes, you should be walking with no crutches by now. By the end of the day, I was a little swollen, so I made sure to elevate, ice, and massage and I woke up with it back to normal. Cant wait to walk into PT tomorrow and show them!


WORKOUT-15lb dumbbells
double arm seated flys and biceps-8 rounds of 5 reps rotating
biceps-single arm 2 rounds of 10
double arm overhead press and lat rows-5 rounds of 10 reps rotating
bench press-2 sets of 30/20/10
laying flys-3rounds of 10
skull crusher with leg raises-4 rounds of 10 (15lb)
lat pull over 4 rounds of 15 (30lb)
bicycles-4 rounds of 15
weighted crunches-4 rounds of 15 (15lb)
Russian Twist-1 set of 15
Scissors-1set of 30
leg extensions-1 set of 15

HEALING
Coconut oil and Wintergreen leg and ankle massage, Calcium Supplement


JAN 7-RECOVERY DAY 59-I DID THIS??!
Have I really disassociated myself by blogging and posting my every day progress? Ive been very shocked that some people have completely disappeared from my life during this time when I thought they would have been the strongest ones there for me to help. I reached out to one of them today and we exchanged feelings and viewpoints. And she made, I guess, a valid point. People dont ask me directly how I am doing or how recovery is going because they can just see my posts or blog about it. Seriously, what has our world come to? I told her that I HAD to post and blog BECAUSE nobody asks. I am alone and some days I wake up feeling SO completely alone that I have to fight the demons telling me no one cares. People need to understand computers and social media are not human connection. I still want to be asked how I am doing. I still want to feel the touch of a hug. I still want to hear that it will be okay. I still want people to ask me to do things. Ask me if I need help. Talk to me. I put it all out there because if I didnt, it would eat me up inside. It is my release. And honestly, I mainly do it for myself. lol. But I also do it in case someone else going through something similar is seeking for familiarity.

Physical therapy went well and I am getting around pretty good with 1 crutch and the Lil Bertha brace. I can stand on the 'bionic' ankle, raising the other leg. I feel like I will be progressing without the crutch soon. I just need more range of motion in my foot.


WORKOUT-PT (2.7miles on stationary bike, pick up marbles with toes, towel slides, heel and toe raises, stretches, massage, joint manipulation, balance board with foot, standing on one foot, salsa)
HEALING-Calcium Supplement, Frankincense leg/foot massage


JAN 8-RECOVERY DAY 60-EVERY DAY IS BETTER
I have had the feeling inside me for a while that I can walk. Its like a calling. Telling me to just do it. I woke up this morning at dark thirty and was instantly excited as I could get up and try to walk with the one crutch to the beach and watch the sunrise. There was still plenty of time no matter how slow I went. I have only done inside walking with the one crutch and the PT says the best stretch or exercise I can do right now is to walk it out. So that is what I did. AND I made it up the steep ramp to the sand for the 1st time on one crutch. The only other time was with the 2 crutches and Big Bertha boot! That in of itself was awesome! The colors of the sunrise was amazing! The seagulls flying, the runners running. It was such a beautiful morning! And I was walking!



But I got home, and I felt like more was calling. I tried to put on a sneaker again (the swelling has been limiting me from doing so with the brace) and I was able to lace it up half way! I then wanted to see if I could walk without crutches. I feel like the one crutch is throwing off my shoulder and hip causing constant severe neck pain. I went down to using the crutch like a cane instead of a crutch. Then I let it go. And I walked! And there was no pain! The movement is still very awkward as the leg is weak and the foot is stiff, but I was walking! It is happening! PT is tomorrow evening and I cant wait to get in there and tell them!

WORKOUT-walking?/rest
HEALING-Calcium, Vitamin D, B12, Cocoa Butter scar massage


JAN 9-RECOVERY DAY 61-YES YOU CAN WALK! 
TODAY my FMLA finally approved for physical therapy. I know we had 2 Holidays to deal with, but I submitted that on Dec 20! Cmon!

I had an almost full day of work and then physical therapy. I walked around my house without a crutch, but brought the crutch with me to PT. It was a therapist I havent had yet, but I really liked her. She asked questions no one else has and gave me NEW exercises! Finally! And we walked. Without a brace even or shoes! Now that is the hardest part-barefoot! It was good. It was all good. There is no pain whatsoever. They are still really working on my range of movement of the foot. It just doesnt move. So they have to manipulate the joints and give me super deep massages. It helps after, but then it tightens again. I wish I had someone at home to help with that.

I planned on lifting weights today for a workout, but I came home after almost a 2 hour PT session and was exhausted. And then hand cycling is early tomorrow with Brooks. How is walking and PT exhausting??? I have to constantly remind myself I am getting a huge workout in, even though I am not sweating it out.

WORKOUT-PT (bike 2.9miles, stretches/massage, standing on slanted board, salsa, calf raises standing, calf raises on a board, barefoot walking without crutch or brace, marble pick up with toes)
HEALING-Golden Milk, Calcium, Vitamin D, Coconut Oil and Wintergreen foot massage



JAN 10-RECOVERY DAY 62-OMG IM SOOOOO TIRED! 
Today was Brooks Adaptive Sports and Recreation meet up to use the hand cycle. I decided I wanted to go solo and push myself with speed. I left last week doing 18 miles in 2hours and felt it was a little too easy. So I was aiming for 20. It was a cold morning. The gloves I wore were too thin as the brisk air whipped right through them, which made me probably squeeze the bars too hard which left me with very sore arms. I finally figured out that to cycle I not only have to push, but I can pull in. So when it goes in a circle, at the top, push, and at the bottom, pull. I dont know why it just dawned on me but the pulling seemed a lot easier. I had no idea how fast I was going, but I knew I got to the 18 mile mark and we still had an hour left. I decided I would go just a little further. I ended up doing 21.2 miles and I was exhausted! I instantly was sore in my arms and hands and my toes were numb from the cold. I came home pooped and had to find the energy to go to work. Nap, shower, coffee, nothing was working. I literally felt like I had just ran a marathon except I wasnt celebrating with mimosas. I started mentally freaking out a little because I have been SO busy with PT and work and cycling on both chairs and weight lifting. I cant let myself get worn down. I have to keep my energy and my immunity up. This is the time people get sick, and I can NOT afford to get sick.

I also attempted the stairs today! I decided to try the Brooks bus stairs first because people were there to help if I needed it. It was a piece of cake! So I decided to try to go up my complete set of stairs at home and I made it to the top with no problem! (my arms were too tired from cycling to crawl on my butt!!! LOL). Im still a little leery on going down my entire steps, but we will tackle that  soon.

By the end of the night my foot was swollen. Icing it only took a little away. I then walked to bed and it hurt. It felt like the bottom of my foot in the pad and heel were bruised or just had no cushion at all. I dont feel like I walked entirely too much today, so I dont know why, maybe its just coming from the day before? Im supposed to be working on walking form without a limp, but being so tired I just havent been able to. This is the first time I am experiencing pain since my bones have been healed. I know pain comes with therapy, but I cant afford pain to hold me back. I am now having stress dreams (not really nightmares) of my foot.

There are 30 days til DONNA Marathon. I am mostly off the crutch for short distances, but I want to be off the crutch for longer distance by 5k day. Wouldnt it be amazing if I could walk that last mile?

WORKOUT-21.2 miles on hand cycle
HEALING-Calcium, coconut oil and Wintergreen massage on foot, Frankincense massage on leg, ice pack, epsom salt bath


JAN 11-RECOVERY DAY 63-IM DEVELOPING WHAT?!
Well, because my foot has been so stiff for so long, the pain i was feeling yesterday was the onset of plantar faciatis. FML. No. Nope. Not going to happen. I can NOT have this happen. I knew before I even broke my ankle that I was getting tight and could be on the verge of developing PF if i didnt step it up. That is a huge reason why I was doing yoga. But I havent been able to do yoga with this injury, and now being back at work again, sitting all day, my body and foot has lost its flexibility.

The good news is, I can start doing more drastic moves and exercises, including squats, which will start to help with the stretching, but also help with my muscles that have started sagging. My right ass cheek literally sagging like an old lady. SMH. We also tried doing gas pedal exercises and its just ridiculous to see how my foot cant even move in that position. The Doctors follow up appointment is Monday and we were hoping he may say I can start driving again, but after that test, I am just not sure.

I bought myself a cane because I am so damn tired of my neck being strained with the crutch. I actually walked into PT and then to a restaurant without anything and did fine. My friend brought me the cane, which mainly is to have for balance and safety. Im not naming it. Im not decorating it. Im not getting attached to it. I dont want it in my life long. I want to walk. I want to walk normal. I want to walk a mile at a time. I dont want to be tight, I dont want PF. This broken ankle is not going to send me in a downward spiral of 'being old' with one problem causing another. I am coming back from this stronger not weaker.

WORKOUT-PT (1.9mile bike, box/stair climb, toe/heel raises, slant leans, ball/gas pedal presses, stretches/massage)
HEALING-B12, Vitamin D


JAN 12-RECOVERY DAY 64-GOING THE DISTANCE
Ive been so exhausted lately so I went to bed early, thus woke up before sunrise and decided I would try to walk a mile. I didnt track it last time, but I felt it was about half a mile for the last sunrise and I felt good, so I wanted to see if I could push myself to a mile. And I did! I even got to the end of the blue mat and made it out onto the sand to watch the sunrise! Oh it is a whole other perspective having to be on the sidewalk when I was on crutches instead of the sand! Finally! My toes may not be in the sand yet, but I was ON the beach! The sunrise was the half way point, so technically I had a break while walking. I felt really good. There were a couple steps I needed to pause but I felt good.

I came home and cleaned the house and then realized my ankle was swelling. Everything has to stop so I can ice. Thats okay, I needed a nap. Except the swelling never fully went away the rest of the day. We went out later that afternoon and it was a little bit more difficult to walk, probably because of the swelling and soreness. I pushed myself and that is what happens. Its 28 days til the DONNA 5k and I wonder how much more walking Ill be able to get in.

WORKOUT-1mile walk, 100 squats, 75 kickbacks with band, 75 side raises with band
HEALING-Coconut oil with Wintergreen, ice pack


JAN 13-RECOVERY 65-HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH
I literally rested most of the day wondering if I should try to attempt another mile, or even yet alone any distance. I dont want to overdo it, but I also feel like I may have held myself back this entire process because Ive been afraid of the unknown. That is the hardest part of all of it. No one tells me where I am on this recovery chart. Am I behind? Am I ahead? Should I be doing this already?

I decided to go outside in the yard because it was an absolute beautiful day. I did a little gardening which was nice because I haven been able to since October. I got tired quick, so rested and iced. And then got another round of energy and decided I would walk the pup and see how it goes. Well, I did laps around the block in case I needed to go back in. The laps were going well. Then I decided to go to the beach. By the time I got back to the house and I mapped out my route, it ended up being a mile! I even walked up the stairs one foot at a time instead of two feet on each step!

And then the soreness crept in. I hope I am not too sore for PT in the morning. Arthritis strength tylenol seems to help, but I really dont want to be using it every time I am sore. It is one thing to have sore hamstrings or quads, or arms, but to have sore feet is a whole other level. I forgot about how intricate the foot can be. All the pieces are waking up again. Hello Foot.....lets get back to being us!




WORKOUT-1 mile walk

squats-5 sets of 25
dead lifts-3 sets of 20-15lb

weighted crunch-3sets of 15- 15lb
Russian Twist-3sets of 15-15lb
legs up-25
scissors-25
bicycles-25
in and out crunches-25

Bands (light)-3 sets of 10
donkey kicks, knee lifts, leg raises

15lb dumbbells-
lat pulls-3 sets of 15-30lb
bench press-2sets of 15, 2 sets of 30-30lb
overhead press- 3sets of 10 -30lb
biceps-double-3sets of 10
biceps single-3sets of 10
flys-3sets of 10
lat rows-3sets of 10

HEALING
Golden Milk, Calcium, ice pack


CONTINUE TO CHAPTER 4-BELIEVE



There are several ways to help Pink Feet- Go Fund Me-for medical expenses
https://www.gofundme.com/help-pinkfeet-get-back-on-her-feet

Crowdrise-Donations to The DONNA, my overall goal is to reach $100,000 for breast cancer.
https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/campaign/pink-feet

Give the Gift of Lyft! Not driving for months quickly adds up!-on the Lyft or Uber app, select a gift card and use email pinkfeet360@yahoo.com

Follow on FaceBook
www.facebook.com/pinkfeet

Share with your Friends!

No comments: