Smuttynose Rockfest-Hampton Beach NH State 48-Oct 2 2022

 Smuttynose Rockfest-the race I held onto for years trying to make it my 50th state or 100th half marathon celebration because I knew it was going to be that much of a blast! Unfortunately, timing didn't pan out for the milestone but boy the race weekend didn't disappoint! 

First off, nonstop flights with Jet Blue to Boston from Florida makes this one of the cheapest flights of all the 50 states. Unfortunately, car rentals are still pretty insane with the economy so the overall weekend cost ended up about the same. 

I decided to stay a little shy of an hour inland at a cute little Airbnb in New Boston/Goffstown because, to be quite frank, none of the beach properties looked inviting. Plus, New Hampshire is known for its beauty in the country, lakes, and mountains during Fall color season so I wanted to be centrally based! I drove the top rated scenic route of Kancamagus Hwy in the White Mountains and the colors were gorgeous! I spent an entire day enjoying small hikes and tons of scenic overlooks. The Airbnb had not only a sleep number bed, but a relaxing wooded backyard set up with waterfall, gazebo with firepit, and hot tub! Oh and a bear that tried to join me twice! 


Rockfest takes place in Hampton Beach NH, which is an old beach town with overpriced rates. You know, the kind that has dead sewer rats on the race course. Yes that happened. I didn't realize until the day before the race, parking was not included and we were expected to pay $20. This could have played a factor in me staying at the beach, but probably not. It was frustrating as an out of towner, not knowing the secret (cheaper/free) parking spots, as we ran we passed a $10 lot not far from Start. The beach itself is really pretty however. White sugar sand and their boardwalk reminded me of home in Virginia Beach. 

There wasn't an expo, so I opted for race day packet pick up which was just your hoodie and bib. 

I had barely escaped Hurricane Ian down in Florida, in fact my flight was cancelled the day prior shortening my trip. But the remnants of Ian arrived to New Hampshire on race day! In fact I seriously thought the packet pick up tent was going to be blown away! Winds were over 25mph the entire morning and temps in the 50s. Its a good thing they gave us hoodies and not shirts because they sure did come handy waiting for the race to start and for the after party! 

My friend Barbara from Mass decided to drive up and meet me race morning to run. The race consists of about 2,000 half marathoners and 1,400 5k runners starting right after. We headed to the very congested and a little chaotic starting area with not even a Starting Line banner or timing line up but I didn't care too much as everyone was squeezed together blocking the cold wind! 

The course ended up having a good number of spectators cheering us on and music playing either thru speakers or bands throughout as well. 

The first few miles were a little crowded on the small beach streets as we made two laps past the Finish Line twice. I thought the crowd was keeping us from going too fast, but we were hitting times I hadn't seen in a long time! And I felt great! My adrenaline was pumping not only running in this crazy wind, but it was perfectly cool temps as I like for running, I had my friend with me who is in better shape than me right now so motivating me to keep going, we were at the beach which I haven't seen in entirely too long, there seemed to be speakers of music playing everywhere, and there were spectators already cheering for us! 

I had no idea how I was going to feel for this race after just running two half marathons the past two weeks, but I ended up making it past 3miles nonstop with the fastest times I had seen in a long while. I knew I was excited for a flat course with cool temps but man I had no idea I had it in me. 

Miles 4-8 we were in complete headwind at the waters edge. With the fast start and the wind making us work harder, I was crashing fast. It was almost miserable as it felt never ending. I mean I even said out loud "this is miserable." I gave in to more walk breaks and told Barbara to keep going. I felt ridiculous. I had come all this way. 48 states 102 half marathons, 14 years of my life! I should be appreciating every moment of it no matter how miserable. And I do, but sometimes your mind takes over. Its the real strength that comes in when you can control those ridiculous thoughts.  I continued on because thats what I do. Little did I know just another mile or so the course entered a neighborhood to block the wind and then it was a straight shot back down the beach with the wind at our backs! We ended up finishing just minutes apart. 

The spectators were on point at this race, standing out in the cold wicked wind! One even drill sergeant yelled at me, one telling me I'm going to have Pink Feet (little do they know), one yelling Go Boss (I took this as a New England thing?), a couple little kids cheering and one asking why I'm walking (you're right kid!) and one little old Memaw sitting in the window waving. I felt like Memaw was with me. My favorite was when volunteers would yell "You got this!" and I would yell back "Yep, its only my 102nd half marathon!" One guy read my back bib during one of my walks and as he ran by encouraged me with a 'Cmon Pinkfeet!' I felt like the entire race was my cheering squad for wrapping up these 50 states!

The water fuel stations were stocked well and even gave gels a few times which I needed. 

The last 3 miles I felt great. I'm sure the wind on my back helped, but I felt strong. I felt excited that I was about to wrap up State 48. Everything was hitting me, that I am actually finishing this mission! I ran fast and took shorter walk breaks. I was actually passing people. The closer to the Finish line I got the happier I was, but even just a tenth of a mile away my watch and my body said I was done. I peeked around the corner of where I thought the line was (I mean we passed it twice already!) and it wasn't...I yelled out 'Where the F is the finish?!' and made a couple of spectators burst out laughing. 

I finally see it! I finally hear the announcer. And then I hear the music. They are blasting 'Dont Stop Believing' song!  I start bawling. I never gave up. 2 more states!


The Finish Line and After Party area was just a block over from parking, which made it nice to be able to get out of the sweaty clothes and into that warm hoodie they provided! The oceanfront boardwalk is where they had the lobster rolls, hot soup, and wraps. It was the best roll I have eaten yet! The oceanfront stage is where they had the beer and live band. You were given one ticket for food and two tickets for drinks. No one took the tickets for drinks. They had seltzers as well which were tasty. The band was rocking and it was fun, but it was still so windy and cold, New Englanders were wearing Parkas! Ready to warm up, I realized they also had two bars that were providing drinks to the runners with the beer tickets. I walked into one and was right at home! They had Vikings playing on the big screen, someone strumming on the guitar, the beer selection included Pumpkin and you could still see the ocean inside! I settled in for my recovery lunch before heading back inland. 

I would recommend Smuttynose Rockfest for a good time and easy scenic course. I would even run it again despite my theory of not repeating races (besides The Donna). However, I definitely suggest extending the stay to explore New Hampshire in the Fall with all the colors if you have not done so before! Register early for savings on the race, follow them on social media for specials, and plan to pay for parking!


State 48

13.1-2:34

Please show your support with a DONATION to help those living with breast cancer! 

No comments: