Rim Rock Run-Fruita, CO-Nov 3, 2018


The Rim Rock Run marathon and half marathon is held within the Colorado National Monument in Fruita, CO, just outside of Grand Junction.



I was lucky enough to score two resort stays from work, so there was going to be a bit of a drive for me just because it was free. I flew in Friday to Grand Junction taking the chance on not needing to acclimate to elevation, one because I grew up skiing and never had an issue with elevation, and two, the course was mostly downhill.

About a week or two before race day, an email was sent out stating that the half marathon course was changing due to the size. Now, instead of the entire course being downhill, there would be an incline for the first 3 to 4 miles and then a turn around to go downhill. It didn't bother me, as I barely look at race courses anymore since there have been so many doing this 10 year half marathon a month journey and Id rather have it a surprise. But I could see how someone would be upset not training for an uphill and receiving this last minute email. They gave the option of just running the downhill course, but I dont see how that helps anyone that was planning to run a half marathon. The map online made it seem like it was going to be a drastic incline, but it ended up being a pretty easy climb and I enjoyed the challenge.


Flying in, we flew over a lot of snow covered mountains. As we landed, I was so surprised to still see the yellow Autumn trees. The city was completely covered in nothing but yellow. The mountains of Grand Junction are so picture perfect. They are so unique.




After arriving the airport, I drove about an hour to Gateway, CO, pretty much in the middle of nowhere in a magical valley oasis of a resort called Gateway Canyons. The drive is scenic in of itself as you ride along the river, cliffs on both sides, wildlife all around you, and the overhang of those bright yellow trees.




Arriving to Gateway Canyons, the mountains suddenly turn to the red dirt, more reminiscent of the nearby Utah Moab desert. It was off season, so it was quiet around the resort. My room had a magical view of the Palisade and a nice fireplace to cozy up to. There was a hot tub right outside to relax in (unfortunately the pool is seasonal). The resort offered bikes to explore the grounds, which I did to get orientated. There are also several miles of hiking on the hotel property, which I also did after the race (beware hunting season though!)



PACKET PICK UP AND PARKING
Packet pick up was race day at the Fruita Community Rec Center which was also the area for parking. I made sure to give myself plenty of time with my hour drive in the dark. It was a simple clear bag to use for gear check, with a couple of flyers inside, a coupon for a local brewery, and a rec center pass. It was absolutely perfect to be able to use the pool/hot tub/shower of the rec center after the race. Except one thing, I never heard about thing about it ahead of time, so I didn't have a bathing suit nor towel. I passed on the pool, but was able to purchase a towel to be able to use the shower before the long ride back to the resort.

SHUTTLE
Separate shuttles were provided for both the marathon and half marathon; the marathon leaving about an hour before the half. Unfortunately there was a little bit of confusion of the drop off spot for the bus I was on, but thankfully, it was only about a quarter mile of a walk. 

STARTING LINE
We started next to a very small campground within the park. Thankfully, the buses stayed and we were able to sit with the heaters. There was a bag drop very last minute in an SUV that took your belongings to the Finish Line. It was a simple one, two, three Go kind of start.






COURSE

The half marathon runs inside the National Monument Park. We went about 4 miles uphill, then
turned around where the rest of the race was downhill until the last couple miles that were run outside of the park on a city road sidewalk. The road is still open to traffic going one way inside the park, but there was only a handful of cars. Outside the park was full traffic, but we were on a sidewalk. We finished at a small town park next to a Dinosaur, which is what the area is known for. The entire course was scenic and quiet, even once on the busy city road the Fall yellow trees still made it a peaceful run.







RESULT
Race day weather was absolutely perfect; sunny and cool, staying below 50. The cool weather kept me running with very little walk breaks even on the not so steep inclines. The magnificent beauty all around us really took your mind off any sort of incline. I took small walk breaks for those first 4 miles going up but then the rest of the downhill, I ran, and ran, and ran. "Take advantage of the downhill" always pops in my head. "Don't waste a downhill." It takes so little energy to do a downhill when you relax and just let gravity take over. It was so fun flying down the hill passing people, just overlooking the distant mountains and city below. We even ran through a tunnel in the mountain! Then out of nowhere there was a huge heart rock! Once we hit the flat ground in the last couple of miles, my breathing suddenly hit me. So strange this was the only time I felt the elevation. I struggled a bit coming into the Finish, but I crossed it extremely impressed with the beauty of the course. This has got to be one of the most beautiful and fun courses I have raced!

























FUEL STATIONS/SPECTATORS
Since we were within a paid park and on a partial open road, there were not any spectators until the Finish area. I did not have any issues with the fuel stations being properly stocked and manned. I carried and used 2 GUs. They did not have as much fuel at the stations as most marathon courses would have, but with me running the half, I was fine. I feel like they could have used one more water station within the last couple miles.



FINISH LINE
The After Party was small, but plentiful including 2 massage tents, a souvenir pint glass with your free beer, hot coffee and hot chocolate, bananas, cookies, and two soups. I ate some butternut squash soup and watched the finish line, but it ended up being too cold for me to stay. I took a picture with the dinosaur and headed to the Rec Center for a hot shower which was about a quarter of a mile away.




















AFTER
I went to Camillas for breakfast and explored the surrounding Dinosaur Fossil Trails, then came back to Hot Tomatoes Pizza for lunch. I highly recommend both. Getting back to Gateway Canyons, I decided to jog the property trails as I was mid marathon training and needed 18+ miles. It was getting to be sunset time and it was beautiful. Then I saw orange and heard gunshots and remembered its hunting season so I headed back. 


SHIRT/MEDAL
I really like the medal and how it includes the red rock mountain. The logo on the shirt is okay, but the green throws off the theme. At least its not an obnoxious green, but I would have liked to have seen more of the red rock or the sky blue like the medal.


OVERALL THOUGHTS
I crossed the finish line thinking this has got to be my favorite course yet out of 91 half marathons! Running downhill is just fun to me because its the one time I can run fast! And in the scenery and I was in heaven! I highly recommend this race and it truly stands up to its statement of being one of the most scenic courses in the US! Western Colorado is so unique in its beauty and I shouldn't be surprised that I loved it, because I love its neighbor Utah.

Unfortunately I never made it to my second resort stay in Dunton Hot Springs. As I left Gateway, I had an extremely scenic and peaceful drive to mountains of snowy Telluride. I took a pit stop as that was a halfway point of my drive and decided to do a waterfall hike, Bridal Veil Falls. I wasnt expecting so much snow half way through the hike, but I continued on. The trail was absolutely gorgeous with overlooks of the town. The waterfall was halfway frozen which made it even more magical. On my way down however, I slipped in the snow and broke my ankle at an exact spot where I saw a heart in the snow. I don't know if I could have found more perfect spot for something like that to happen. I had just run one of my favorite races ever, hiked my first snow trail and saw a frozen waterfall, and have just absolutely loved everything about my Colorado/State 40 experience. The heart just makes it seem like it was meant to be. Im not quite sure why it was meant to be yet, but I can only accept what has been handed to me, make the best of it to make me come out stronger and hopefully share my experience along the way to help others.





Read more of my hike, fall, and my daily recovery journey HERE.

13.1-2:19
Half Marathon 91
State 40

Pink Feet completed 7 years, 8 months of running a half marathon a month while also racing the 50 states, when in Colorado/State 40, I broke my ankle. 

The half marathon a month may have come to a sudden halt, but the 50 states will resume after a healthy recovery. 

I have run The DONNA Marathon every February and this year will be no different! I may not be using my feet, but I will be using my hands! Brooks Adaptive Sports and Recreation has provided me a hand cycle chair to complete the marathon course! 

Please consider showing your support with a donation. 

 Funds raised benefit The Mayo Clinic and Donna Foundation. My mission is to help spread the word of breast cancer prevention, early detection, and living a healthy lifestyle including running and walking, and now cycling! My overall goal is to raise $100,000 for breast cancer charities in which over $69,000 is currently raised. Donations are currently being accepted HERE

Or you can mail a check to:
Donna Foundation
11762 Marco Beach Dr Ste 6
Jacksonville FL 32224
Memo-PinkFeet




No comments: