Never Quit....Never-April 2019


While healing from surgery, my entire focus was all on training for the Donna Marathon using a hand cycle. Once marathon day passed in February, I knew it would be time to focus on when I could run again. I soon realized physical therapy would hopefully be wrapping up by my Birthday in April and Never Quit 5k was that same week. I instantly had my next goal.

Never Quit is a 5k and 10k held right on the sands of Jacksonville Beach. Its motto instantly was a calling as I was dealing with this broken ankle. Not to mention, the timing of it all panned out perfectly to keep me on track to reach half marathon distance by July! They give an option of a commemorative necklace instead of a medal, which I wore just about every day as inspiration.

There was still great concern about the lack of bend in my ankle by the therapist and doctor, but I begged the therapists to put me on the antigravity running machine at month four of recovery. I just  felt like the motion of running would help loosen my ankle.  I ran 2 days a week on that machine and still had a regular physical therapy session in between.

Five weeks later I met my goal of running outside on my birthday!! One of the therapist met me to run on real ground. It was so surreal! I can not describe the amount of anxiety but also excitement that overwhelmed my body. My brain was literally telling me, 'you forgot how to run.' My body was telling me, 'you miss this so much, just do it.'



Not only was it my birthday, but it was the day I took back control of this ankle situation. I laced up my sneakers that I fell and broke my ankle in! These shoes will not keep me down! I wore arch supports as my ankle was still tight and doesn't bend as loosely as the other. Being a toe runner, it helps keep me supported.

The first couple of steps felt awkward. Actually, Im not going to lie, the entire mile felt awkward, as sidewalks are not the same as a treadmill. I had to relearn the stability of running on uneven surfaces. We took it super slow for a mile and had a lot of walk breaks, but I was so surprised at how easy it was!

I had already walked a 5k for the Donna Marathon, and now I am back outside running, so of course I wanted to complete the Never Quit 5k the same week! Everyone thought I was crazy, but I just felt like my body could handle it.




















Super nervous at the starting line and unsure how beach running was going to go, I just took it super slow and shuffled my way along. The feeling of being surrounded by racers (mainly them passing me) just put a huge smile on my face! I am racing again! It was a beautiful day and the sand was nice and hard. I kept it slow and just kept going.

I unintentionally ran the first mile nonstop! It just felt good. I told myself I would walk the last 2 miles if I needed. But I still felt good, so I did the run/walk by feel, no time.  My leg muscles ended up being more sore than my ankle! I had no pain at all! The course even ended up being a little long at 3.5 miles, then I had walked to/from the start/finish line! It felt amazing getting back out there again....and I actually passed people!

I wore a sign on my back, '5 months post ankle surgery' for motivation and support from my fellow runners, as I knew I was participating and finishing alone. But I also wanted to show others whatever you put your mind to, you can accomplish, as long as you 'Never Quit.' Right as I completed running my first nonstop mile since surgery, a lady talked to me about how her runner friend is struggling with her own ankle surgery recovery, not knowing if she will run again. And of course the doctors telling her, just like they told me, maybe you should hang up those shoes because they dont know either. She was so excited to take a picture of me to show her, yes, it can be done! Some doctors just dont understand the passion and commitment that runners have. You cant tell them they cant do something that burns inside them. You feel it. Its there. Use that energy to drive you through therapy and training. You want it, go for it! No one can tell you different. Only you understand what your body is communicating to you. Listen to it.


I crossed that finish line just amazed that I had done it! And all those people told me they thought I shouldn't! I put on my Finishers Necklace, took off my shoes, and jumped into the ocean! It was a great day!




No comments: