3rd Annual-Shark Bite Half Marathon-New Smyrna Beach, FL-Jan 14, 2018



This was the 3rd Annual Shark Bite half marathon and 5k located in New Smyrna Beach, FL produced by Red Pointer Production. Ive been following this race since its inception and it just keeps getting better! There were 943 half marathoners and 770 5kers.

I was supposed to camp for just $16 only 20 minutes away at Lake Ashby, but as race day drew closer, the temperatures dropped drastically. (de ja vu from MS last month?!) This is not an inexpensive lodging type of town, so I had to fork over 100x what I was expecting to pay and got an Airbnb (receive a $40 credit with this link).....but boy, did I luck out! The apartment I rented was just a block from the race start, right smack in the middle of all the restaurants and shopping! I didn't have to use my car the entire time! New Smyrna is pretty pet friendly so I was able to have dinner with my pup with oceanfront views at Ocean Breeze Grille! (But pay attention, there are no dogs allowed on the beach!)

PACKET PICK UP
Me and the pup drove down, just an hour and half from Jacksonville, and arrived perfect timing for packet pick up at New Smyrna Brewery Co while a Classic Car Show was taking place right out front! They had 2 vendors there as well selling stickers (which is weird because the race gave you one for free) and socks. I would have liked to have seen more fuel type options, although they did have a packet pick up on Friday at a running store.



START
Being so close to the Start, I stayed warm in the apartment until the very last minute. It was 39 degrees and windy! I do know that parking was basically just where ever you could find it in the city. Looking at the porta potty lines last minute, they didnt seem that bad. The half marathon started right after a nice viewing of the sunrise over the ocean and then the 5k was 15minutes later. With a pirate as a race announcer, and runners dressed up as sharks, this race instantly put you in a good mood!



COURSE
This is a loop course with the Start and Finish located at the Flagler Boardwalk parking lot right next to the beach. We ran straight through downtown New Smyrna Beach, over a small bridge, through Historic New Smyrna, past beautiful homes along the intracoastal, then over another larger bridge back to the beach with the last two miles on infamous A1A.

WATER STATIONS
The volunteers at every station just were not prepared fast enough. Each station was barely set up and they were more busy filling up the cups, than passing them out. Thankfully, it was not bad enough to have to stop and wait. GU was passed out at M8.

SPECTATORS
There are not a lot of spectators despite being in prime location for them, probably because the race is fairly new, and it was super cold.

RESULTS
I went into this race wanting it bad. Last months attempt at the MS Gulf was a flop when I had some weird pains from my back to my toes. I'm in the middle of training for the DONNA Marathon, and knowing my times, I knew I wasn't going to PR (2:14) this race, but I wanted to attempt a nonstop half marathon, as it has been about 4 years since the last time I tried.

I have never been a runner my entire life. Even as a kid, doing the 'mile' test in grade school, I was always last and couldn't even run 1 lap around the track without stopping. I've always been embarrassed at how, even though I was skinny as a kid, I just could not breath when I ran. When The DONNA came around, I learned about the Galloway program, where you run for only a short amount of time, then take a walk break, and repeat it consistently throughout the race. The theory is, your body recovers so much quicker, leading to less injury. And the truth be told I've realized over the years, you can actually run Faster doing a run/walk than just a nonstop run. (Jeff Galloway actually qualified for Boston doing this!)

For the past 11 years I pretty much have been a 'wogger' (walk/jogger). I have pushed myself 3 times to run the half marathon nonstop, just to prove to myself that even though I take walk breaks normally, that I am still a 'Runner' and I can do it! Well, the past two training weeks before race day, I just felt like not stopping. When training alone, I usually only do a mile nonstop as a warm up and then start the run/walk. Well, one day I just decided to keep going. I ran 4 miles nonstop and it felt amazing! It was like my legs/feet had a mind of their own. They were in a rhythmic pattern that felt so good, I felt like I was floating on air. And amazingly, I was able to breath normal maintaining the pace! Anxiously, I tried it again the next day, and the next, and the next. And each day I experienced that same meditation. My legs were in a rhythm, my mind was clear, my breath was solid. Did I finally discover what a 'Runners High' really was? So going into the Shark Bite half marathon, I knew I wanted to complete the race nonstop.

I felt amazing the entire race....bridges and all. It was a beautiful perfectly weathered race day....39-49 degrees, sunny, breezy only at the coast. My lungs not once begged for air (I probably could have pushed it more) and my body never said 'You can not do this.' I stayed slow and consistent and found that runners high. There were 5 water stations and I did allow myself a few steps of walking at each as I chugged a couple sips. At about M10 my knee started to ache, but nothing like the month before. I knew it was just my body adjusting to this new mentality of nonstop running. It dissipated in about a mile. I like to call those pseudo pains. Its a mind game where your brain tries to convince you, it is all wrong, you shouldn't be doing this, and you must stop. Pushing through something like that and coming out on the other side is an amazing experience.  The last two miles were in strong cold head wind and it was a bit miserable and slow. There was most definitely some yelling at myself, but I did it! I crossed the Finish line and ran a half marathon nonstop!

I grabbed my medal and ran (yep, more running) back to the apartment to change into dry and warm clothes and grab the pup so we could properly celebrate oceanfront!

FINISH
The Finish Line party was fun. Not only did you get a medal, but you received a Shark Bite pint glass for your New Smyrna Brewery beer! Located oceanside, you could kick back and enjoy the view (if only it wasn't so cold this year! Last year it was warm). They had a mechanical shark to ride for fun. There were vendors available to shop. They had pizza for the food. The only thing I could think of to add on, would be an actual band.



SHIRT
Gender specific cotton blend shirt. The color is pretty, the design is consistent between glass, shirt, and sticker, and the sponsors on the back are not obnoxious.

MEDAL
Good size, heavy medal and even has engraving on the back

AWARDS
The top 10% Finishers in each age group received a cool truckers hat.

Something I did not really see, and they even admitted it wasnt advertised well, is a Team Challenge for this race. Not only did the winning teams get a huge cool plague, but they also received a cash award! Keep your eyes peeled for this again next year!

PICTURES
FREE pictures loaded on Facebook! Need I say more?

NEW SMYRNA BEACH
I would have stayed longer to explore, but this was a super quick in and out visit because of the cold and I had to get back home to dad to watch the Vikings kick butt!

However, I did do some research and will most definitely be back to visit.....
Accommodations-There is a brand new Springhill Suites located oceanfront-this seems like an awesome place! Black Dolphin was a super cute little hotel I kept eyeing, but just out of my price range.
To Do-Smyrna Dunes park is your pet friendly beach area with trails to explore, New Smyrna Surf Museum, Norwoods Treehouse and Bar

OVERALL THOUGHTS
I really enjoyed this scenic race. It probably helps that I had a fantastic run as well and I am a biased beach girl, so anything at the beach is usually up my alley. However, Starting and Finishing at the beach is always a plus! Yes, there are bridges, but that just make it even more beautiful with the the intracoastal waterway. For a pretty inexpensive registration, they provided extra swag, and a good time! New Smyrna Beach is a super cute small beach town with friendly (and pet friendly) people!

13.1-2:22
HM#82

Pink Feet's half marathon calendar runs from March to February with the final race being the full marathon at The DONNA Marathon! I am on Year 7 of a 10 year mission to complete the 50 states while also running a half marathon a month; all to help spread the word of breast cancer prevention, early detection, and living a healthy lifestyle including running and walking. My goal is to raise $100,000 for breast cancer charities. Current donations are going to The DONNA Marathon whose beneficiaries are The Mayo Clinic and Donna Foundation.  

DONATE HERE

No comments: