11th Annual DONNA Marathon-Feb 11, 2018



ABOUT
The DONNA Marathon is the only National Marathon that raises money for breast cancer support and research. Monies raised from registrations and donations go towards the Mayo Clinic for genomics breast cancer research and Donna Foundation to help women in financial need during times of treatment. Fundraising is not required to race, but the reward of doing so is well worth it! (see Fundraiser Experience Below)

The DONNA Marathon weekend is so jammed packed with something to do for everyone in the family besides just the marathon! There is a 10k and 5k in Downtown Jacksonville on Saturday, a half marathon, marathon, and 5 person relay on Sunday, a Bobby Trap Challenge if you would like to do both days, and if that is not enough, there is a 110 mile that runs all day/night on Saturday and finishes with the marathon on Sunday!

Have a friend or family member that is not a runner?! That is OK!...there are endless opportunities to Volunteer all weekend as well and still be part of the fun! Can't volunteer or run? That's okay too, just step outside and join the thousands of people that line the entire course, dressed up, yards decked out, horns and banners spread out, music blared out, and yoot n yollerin at all the runners! That's right, this is one big block party of a race you don't want to miss!

This is also the most beginner friendly marathon course out there! Pacers are provided for both the half and full marathon and utilize the Galloway run/walk program. You have a 16 minute mile allowance for the full marathon and a 32 minute for the half! You Too can be a marathoner!



FUNDRAISER EXPERIENCE
If you register as a Fundraiser Experience, you pledge to raise a certain amount of money and you are rewarded with some great perks! Keep bringing in the donations, and you receive even more incentives such as:
-FREE RACE REGISTRATION! ...SAY WHAT?!
-VIP Packet Pick up at the Expo
-Fundraiser Hat
-VIP Start Line parking pass
-VIP Finish Line parking pass
-Fundraiser Experience tent at the Starting Line
-Fundraiser Experience tent at the Finish Line with catered food and drinks!
-VIP cocktail party at Marriott Sawgrass with Donna Friday night
-VIP Dinner at Mayo Clinic with Donna Saturday night





















EXPO
The two day Expo is held downtown Jacksonville at the Prime Osborn Convention Center. It is a pretty massive expo with all kinds of vendors from health fields, running stores, Mayo Clinic doing testings, local shops giving away goodies, photo shoot opportunities, boards to sign on and much more. There was even a grab bag of diamonds from Beards Diamonds and hand drawn caricatures by Kurtis Loftus this year! Packet pick up was a breeze for us this year, we had a pretty good system down with the experience of picking up 4 friends bags. But be prepared, the later it gets, the place gets busy! Don't forget to track down Donna herself as well as Jeff Galloway at their own booths doing meet n greets!

APP
The race used a new app this year via Active Experience, in which your friends and family can 'track' you as you run. Unfortunately there were some glitches with it not being compatible with Android to Iphone or vice versa. Previous years Race Joy app was so much better and more interactive with race cheers and pace alerts. Hopefully they will switch back.


COURSE
"26 miles of Smiles" is what Donna calls this race and she is absolutely right! I have run 82 half marathons in 34 states, and this is definitely the most Community involved race I have ever run! I just absolutely love how not only are the runners involved in helping raise money and awareness for breast cancer, but the neighborhoods really support it as well and do all they can! It really is like one big parade of celebration of how much this race has done for the Mayo Clinic breast cancer research department and The DONNA Foundation to help women who can not afford their treatments! Complete neighborhoods are decked out in pink with huge signs saying 'Welcome.' Survivors stand there and wave, saying 'Thank you for running!' People bring out their music and bands for entertainment. You can't help but smile the entire time!

The course starts at TPC Sawgrass and runs through four beach communities (Ponte Vedra, Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach) before heading back to Ponte Vedra, but takes a turn over the Intracoastal to end appropriately at Mayo Clinic, where much of the donations support!

This is a flat course with just a couple minuscule inclines on the second half and then, yes, a bridge in the last mile, which makes it very representative of the breast cancer journey! When you are completely worn down and do not think you can go any further, you are hit with another challenge! You must put on your game face, look ahead to the future (finish line/Mayo sign in the distance) and stay focused, and you can get through anything! Before long, you have completed that struggle, and it is an easy homestretch to Finish Breast Cancer!

FUEL STATIONS
Water and Gatorade, GU, and first aid stations are in endless supply along this course! Besides what the race provides, SO many neighbors set up their own 'fuel' stations. You will find Popsicles, pbj sammies, bananas, oranges, candies, extra waters/gatorade, mimosas, beers, jello shots, (I think a friend even told me they found Fireball?!)You name it, its out there!





START
Fundraiser Experience parking was a breeze and we were right next to the entrance gate of the Starting Line Village! The Village was pretty big with lots of tents throughout giving food, drinks, sunscreen (its Florida!), gear check was handled by UPS and was a breeze, and there were endless amounts of porta potties! WQIK Djs were there for entertainment as we waited.



The race uses a Pulse Start, which means you line up wherever and with whomever you want, and they only let a certain amount of runners run at a time so the course does not get overcrowded. There is a new countdown and celebration (pink confetti) start with each group and your time does not start until your bib crosses the mat.



I lined myself up with my friends this year in the back, as I was not going for time and did not want my PR pacer to intimidate me.

GOAL
If you have been following me, then you know the past couple of half marathons, I attempted to run 13.1 nonstop, as it had been about 3 years since I last did so. I finally did it in January and continued the rest of my training without walk breaks, which I had never done before. Every day, every training run I was becoming a more confident runner knowing that I am finally consistently running nonstop. I had found the 'runners high' like never before. My lungs didnt hurt, my legs didnt hurt, my mind was clear, and my feet were in a magic rhythm of their own. I decided that it was finally time to attempt 26.2 miles running nonstop! I know that that was a huge goal and possibly quite unrealistic, but since The DONNA is the only marathon I run, this was my only/first chance to see how far I would go! Anything beyond 13.1 would be a new record for me, but I definitely went into race day saying and feeling anything is possible! Its like the quote, 'Aim for the moon. If you miss, you'll land among the stars!"

We had a brutally cold training season this year, which I love and run the best in, but as the race day approached, temps were definitely sky rocketing! I was already on an amazing high going for this extreme goal, I decided this was also the perfect opportunity to push myself even more....

...Ever since I began running, I would be so envious of the Elite females running in just their tank tops. I have always been so overly self conscious of how much stomach jiggles when I run, so I always said 'one day, when I get my stomach in 6pack shape.' Well, this past summer, I had had enough. All these years I let myself overheat, feel miserable like I am sweating to death while other runners around me seem so cool and confident in their bras. One a hot stagnant trail run, I said 'screw it' and I took my tank off. And it felt amazing!! I felt pretty comfortable because I basically was in the middle of the woods with just a handful of other runners and no spectators until the finish. I came home after that race and did my training runs in the dark in my sports bra all summer. It was just so absolutely freeing....and so COOL! I was finally not overheating!! I no longer cared about my stomach. It was more important to feel comfortable temperature wise so I could compete and run my best. So, early Fall, I ran my next half marathon in just my sports bra....my first true race where I had TONS of runners running towards me, seeing every aspect of my jiggle. But I just held my head high, smiled, and felt the cool breeze on my skin. Who Cares?! I am no longer holding back!

So as DONNA race day came and it was predicted to be upper 70s, I said, this is it. It is time. I ran The Inaugural DONNA 11 years ago saying 'one day' I will run 26 miles nonstop and 'one day' I will run in my sports bra. Well, that one day was going to be today! I am running DONNA in my bra and I am pushing myself the furthest that I have ever. I bedazzled my bra to read 'BADASS' because you know what, I finally found that 'badass' inside me! And it was appropriate that my friend showed up to the start line with some bright sparkly lipstick. Never had I ever worn lipstick for a race, but today was going to be the day!



RESULT
On the way to the race, we stopped at my newly laid DONNA brick at Oceanfront Park in Jax Beach that my boyfriend purchased for me after last years race (bricks are still being sold/paved for donations here). I thought it was appropriate to start the day reminding us of the quote I engraved on my brick "She believed she could, so she did!" Me, about to go on a distance adventure I've never done before running nonstop, another friend about to complete her first marathon, another friend that just received 3rd place the day before and wrapping up her weekend with the Booby Trap Challenge, another friend that really did not train much due to sickness and just life, but knew it was in her to 'be the finish,' and another that had been sick but still had the courage to show up (and PR!).



It was already hot the first mile and was forecasted for 75 degrees, sunny, and 100% humidity. Thankfully, being a block off the ocean most of the course gave us some awesome breezes throughout the day which always reminds me that Memaw is with me! It stayed overcast for the first 23 miles and then the sun came out in full force.

Most of us separated as we lined up to Start as we all had different goals. I had to remind myself, "slow and steady wins the race" which brought me back to my first marathon when I bought a shirt with a turtle that said that. The first 13 miles were the most fun I have ever had at this race! The sunrise was amazing as we took off and it took me a full mile to realize it was my new glasses that was making everything so PINK!



To stay slow and loose, I took the time to wave and say 'Thank you' to all the spectators lining the course! I was not watching my Garmin, instead I just ran by effort. I was amazed at how easy it felt. I appreciated all the decorations, banners, chalk designs, bubble machines, posters, and puppies! Oh there were so many puppies!

Around M9 I passed Donna and Tim and they boosted my confidence saying how great I looked-lipstick still on and all! Around M12, I passed Jeff Galloway, who if it wasn't for this man's run/walk program, I would have never had the courage to become a marathoner! I had then passed the half way mark! My previous half marathons that I had run nonstop, I walked through the water stations to drink. However, this time, I did not even do that! Even at 13 miles, I had set a new record for myself! I was feeling Badass!

At M14 I realized my quads were so tight, I was worried they would cramp up. I had flashbacks of a charlie horse I had in my hamstring one year that almost took me down to the ground, and I couldn't move for a few minutes. I tried to get out of my head and stop focusing on it, but the miles 14-17 are pretty isolate. Where did everyone go? There were not a lot of runners, nor spectators. All I knew was that my boyfriend was waiting for me at M17 with a bag of goodies that would hopefully help the cramps.  My quads started to feel like the muscle was going to rip open through my skin. I knew I still had 10 more miles and there was no way that I wanted to put myself in a position to not even be able to finish the marathon.

I finally made it to him and without thinking I just started walking. It was time. My boyfriend tried to motivate me to not walk, but it was okay. I was happy. I had made it past 13.1! Was it as far as I thought I would go? Probably not. Do I think I can go further? Absolutely! But was today the day in this 75 degree heat? Nope. And that was okay. I am still a Badass for having the confidence to attempt it. I am still a Badass for actually running 16.5 miles nonstop in my sportsbra!

He walked with me for a bit as I put on the BioFreeze and took my bag of goodies of chips, pickle, and bite of Snickers (GU always starts to make me nauseated around this point) and he then handed me a Kindness Rocks rock that he had found with a pink heart on it as he was waiting for me! I was overcome with emotion. I knew right away that my angels were with me and were proud of my Badass accomplishment!



He ran with me a bit as he made his way back to his car to head to the Finish Line and it took me back to my first marathon when dad and his friend ran with me at M20 to keep me going. I have had so much love and support in my life on this breast cancer mission the past 11 years!



Up next was M18 and my work aid station. Every year I get enough volunteers to man a water station, so that my employer donates a grant! I ran through the station to make them proud, and one of the girls yelled out 'You are doing it!" At first I was a little disappointed as she didnt realize I had already had a walk break and only made it to 16.5, but then I realized, "I AM doing it!" I have done 82 half marathons, 34 states, and raised over $66,000 for breast cancer!!!! When I say it out loud, sometimes I dont even believe it myself! Is this really my life?! Yes, yes it is! Ask me 11 years ago if I thought I would be a marathoner? I'd say hell no. Ask me even a year ago if I really even considered myself a 'runner' and I would be unsure, as I always take walk breaks. But ask me this year....and I will say "hell Yes! i AM a runner! i AM a marathoner! and i AM a Badass for doing this 11 year journey and raising so much money!" So I decided to run/walk the rest of the course celebrating it all!

I stopped at about three aid stations M20, M22, M24 to put on more BioFreeze. The cramps would subside for a bit, but would come back. "Slow and steady" said the turtle. The sun came out in full force around M22 and all I wanted was for it to be over. "Slow and steady" said the turtle. I made it to the bridge of the last couple of miles and I could finally see the Mayo sign in the distance, but I somehow had to manage to run a bridge with bricks for quads! I looked up and saw the top of the bridge once again jammed packed with Zeta sorority girls cheering me on. I smiled and knew after that, it was just a home stretch to my friends and boyfriend waiting for me at the Finish!  Slow and steady I crossed that Finish Line as a brand new confident Badass Runner!


























FINISH
The Finish was extra special for me this year....it wasnt just about me, but about my boyfriend finally being able to be part of The DONNA, after a year long, long distance relationship, he finally moved to Jacksonville. For him to finally witness this race; to see firsthand what this huge part of my life is all about. To share in the celebration of the race that has made me the person I am today. He has been so supportive and understanding in all my travels and training and phone calls trying to explain the race. It just finally felt right. To complete an awesome goal, cross that finish line, and be able to hug him to celebrate!


 We celebrated in the VIP Ruth Chris tent with mimosas and steak! He also came prepared with flowers and his own batch of freshly made shrimp for all of us! We then headed over to the Fundraiser Experience tent and celebrated with other VIP fundraisers with corn dogs, hamburgers, chicken tenders, and fries, as well as Fireball and beer! After our celebration, we made our way back to the Finish Line where we waited for our friend for complete her first marathon! It was fun to cheer on the very last runners, as the course was closing!

Afterwards, of course we jumped in the freezing ocean, then headed to the pool and hot tub for some relaxation. Ice cream cake was to be had in the morning! :)


SHIRT
Gender specific long sleeve shirts turned out great this year. I love the color and beach design



MEDAL
I didn't really know how I felt about the new medal at first when it was being advertised, being completely different from our previous years design, but once it was in my hands, I quickly fell in love with it and felt like a true gold medalist! AND IT SPINS! That just makes it that much more fun! I also love that they made the marathon medal larger than the half marathon medal.



OVERALL THOUGHTS
When I was first asked 'Why' I wanted to attempt running 26 miles nonstop, I knew right then, it was the perfect goal for me. The past couple of years, I have felt that something was just missing in my running. The speed wasn't improving (although I've been doing more technical courses) and I just wasn't feeling like a 'true runner.' (I know. I know. I'm ridiculous.) But we all have something inside us that drives us. But sometimes we lose that momentum, or even lose the reasoning why, or lose the understanding of what it really is that even drives us? When I would walk away from a race feeling defeated because I didn't PR, I was always reminded, just remember the 'real' reason why you are doing this. Yes, that is true I race to raise money and funds for breast cancer, but it wasn't enough. And I've learned over the years, running has so much more power in life in creating who you are as a person. I just knew something was just missing for me.

As I explored my irrational reasoning of not being a 'real runner' it took me back to my very first half marathon, the DONNA Inaugural. I went into it with a friend and we walked a TON. I mean a ton. I knew right away I had more in me. I signed up to run the full marathon the very next year. And I did it! I finished that first marathon with the 1x1 run/walk Galloway program. But I felt like I had more in me. So the next year, I decided to forget the 1x1 and see just how far I could run without walking. I ran 6 miles nonstop for the very first time ever! I had no idea I could even do that! But I knew right then, I had more in me. The next couple of years I finally worked myself up to run the full 13 miles nonstop. It hurt. I never really felt like I had more in me. So I settled. I said I would always do the run/walk for the full marathon.

It took 7 years of me doing the same thing over and over; of just 'completing' the half marathon every month. If I PRd, great, If not, 'Oh Well.' I justified it with, 'I finished.' I focused on speed and PRing the marathon and that worked for 7 years, and then the day came when I finally did not PR my marathon time.  I tried not to beat myself up but I couldn't shake this nagging feeling of (gasp) not being good enough. Was it really just the speed? I couldn't help but think there was more. Something was definitely missing but I didn't quite know what or why I felt this way or what I needed to do to not feel this way.

That is when I realized as I pushed myself again to run the half marathon nonstop this year, I had never changed the focus. For so long I just allowed myself to do the same thing month after month, year after year. I never gave myself a new challenge. I wanted speed. I tried for speed, but when it didn't come, I would just shrug it off. I wasn't feeling that adrenaline, that excitement to do something new. To have a new purpose of the race. It had been too long since I pushed myself as hard as I could, passed my limits, to see what I was truly made of. And so I did it. I set a new goal of running 26 miles nonstop, and although I did not reach that goal (yet), I crushed my old record and most importantly I found out what I was truly made of....a Badass Runner! I finally have reconnected with that Runners High and I can confidently tell myself, "You ARE Doing It Melissa!"




Being a 'Streaker' of The DONNA Marathon, I am highly biased of this race. HOWEVER, running 82 half marathons in 34 states, I am frequently asked what my favorite race is, and I honest to God can truly say, it is The DONNA. The crowd support of the course is beyond what words can describe. It is as if all the angels come together that one day and say Thank You for everything you do! It is an experience you will never forget!



Marathon #9-5:17


DONATE HERE















No comments: