Coastal Delaware Running Festival-Rehoboth Beach, DE-Apr 22, 2018




This was the 4th Annual Coastal Delaware Running Festival includes a 5k on Saturday, a 9k, half marathon and marathon on Sunday. Combine Saturday and Sunday and you have one of their Challenges. The 5k is located in Dewey, while Sundays races are in Rehoboth.


PACKET PICK UP
Pick up was held at the Convention Center, which had free parking. It was an easy in and out with a handful of vendors to explore. They also provided a free souvenir pint glass in our bag!


START
The race is held at a time of year where the parking meters are turned off and all parking is free in Rehoboth Beach. There is ample parking throughout the beach town. I arrived early and had front row parking and enjoyed the sunrise over the ocean. We start and finish on the boardwalk. The town has public restrooms which most runners were using the first one they saw which led to complaining that the race did not provide enough bathrooms. However, if you walked just a little further into the Starting area, you would see another public restroom building and then a handful of porta potties behind it. I used the facilities 3x with not much of a wait at all.

There were pacers for this race and we had corral numbers on our bibs, however, there was no way to get into the corrals without having to go all the way to the back and weave your way forward in the tight crowd. I decided since I hadnt done much training this month, it was best for me to stay further back anyways.

They used a pulse start, only letting so many runners go at a time, so I never had a hard time running to my true pace in the first couple of miles.

COURSE
The course is an out and back that takes you from Rehoboth Beach boardwalk, through the beach neighborhood into the back entrance of Cape Henlopen to the Gordons Pond Trail. It was a very peaceful course with scenic views and peaceful vibes. We spent a large amount of time within the State Park and a good portion was run on hard packed gravel with ample room to pass. I loved the trail and felt the gravel did not slow me down and it was soft enough to absorb the shock, leaving me walking away without being sore.

WEATHER
It was a gorgeous beach day. Clear blue skies and in the 50s. It did get a smidge warm on the return where I wish I had worn shorts.

WATER STATIONS
Gatorade and Water were provided every couple of miles and a GU packet towards the end. One station we hit twice was a Parrott Head station with everyone dressed up and even a guy playing the steel drums!

SPECTATORS
There were not a ton of spectators on this course except for on the Boardwalk.


ACCOMODATIONS
I camped at Cape Henlopen State Park which I felt completed my first experience to Delaware. Easily accessible to Rehoboth Beach activities, but remote enough to be embraced in nature. The Park also is old military grounds so there are old buildings, towers, machinery to explore. There are also a good amount of trails for walking or biking. There is a fishing pier and lighthouse over the bay which leads to a great sunset on the water. Theres even a beach to bring your pup! Beware, the campsites are pretty close together without much privacy, so take note on the map and pick a corner/end site.



RESULTS
I realized I never charged my Garmin until I arrived at Start. Oh well, it was probably meant to be, as like I said earlier, lifes priorities were not on training this month.


Me n the pup drove up from FL and made a pit stop in VA Beach to break up the drive and also have a visit with mom. I stayed at First Landing State Park and was blown away by the amazing sunset views on the Bay. We arrived just in time to take in a few miles on the bike as well.

First Landing State Park VAB

The visit with mom on the way to Delaware was nothing of what I imagined. She has been fighting early onset dementia for several years now and she has taken a much worse turn than I anticipated. Her drastic change in appearance, voice, and mannerisms were on a constant replay in my head as  I ran this race. It is such a horrible disease to witness and absolutely heartbreaking knowing there is nothing else that can be done.

I keep battling with the decision of wanting to also run and raise money for Dementia and Alzheimers, but I know that I can not give up on this promise I made to Memaw to run for breast cancer. I have 2 1/2 years left of this 10 year mission to raise funds for breast cancer, but I already know there will be something big coming soon that I must do for mom.


So I wore no pacer, no Garmin, I had no plan. I just ran. I ran slow at times, but when the thoughts would enter my mind again, I ran fast. I ran hard. I ran until the bad thoughts disappeared. I ran what felt so perfect it was like I was floating on air. Head high, shoulders back, feet barely touching the ground, not a thought in my mind. I imagined myself as an Elite winning the race and mom would be proud.

After not much training this month, I surprisingly finished my normal time. I felt good.


FINISH
After crossing the finish, you are not only handed your medal, but also your Coastal Delaware trucker hat! There was water, some bars, and bananas. There was a truck handing out pizza slices in the parking lot. You then had to make your way into a small and packed Grottos PIzzeria to get your beer, which I believe they allotted 3 tickets, but only gave you two at a time. It wasnt until standing in this line for a while, that I realized there was a whole food buffet as well! More pizza, pasta, chicken fingers, and salad! I heard later that the same food was provided inside without a line.


SHIRT
We received a gender specific Cotton short sleeve shirt. For some reason I do like the decision, but once again, is killed with all the splattering of sponsor logos on the back.


MEDAL
I am a little disappointed the medal features a building that we never even ran by. I think it is great that each of the medals have a piece of local history on them, but I would have liked something on the half marathon medal that was associated with where we ran.

FREE PICTURES!
Gotta love free pictures!


OVERALL THOUGHTS
I thoroughly enjoyed this race! Camping at the same state park we ran through, Cape Henlopen made it even more special. The swag is great, the course was peaceful. I do wish the after party was a little more organized with more space, perhaps ON the beach to enjoy the Spring weather and atmosphere? Either way, I think this race does stand up to its motto, "Delawares Coolest Marathon."



13.1-2:25
State #35
HM#84

Pink Feet's half marathon calendar runs from March to February with the final race being the full marathon at The DONNA Marathon! I am on Year 8 of a 10 year mission to complete the 50 states while also running a half marathon a month; all to help spread the word of breast cancer prevention, early detection, and living a healthy lifestyle including running and walking. My goal is to raise $100,000 for breast cancer charities. Current donations are going to The DONNA Marathon whose beneficiaries are The Mayo Clinic and Donna Foundation.  


Or mail a check to: 
Donna Foundation
11762 Marco Beach Dr Ste 6
Jacksonville FL 32224
Memo-PinkFeet

No comments: