IndyMini-Indianapolis IN May 5 2018



When you run a race that's on its 42nd Annual, you shouldn't be surprised that they know what they are doing! Somehow, I still managed to walk away a little impressed by this race! I guess its because over these past 8 years of running a half marathon a month while completing the 50 states, I started to shy away from the big (overly crowded) city (not very scenic) races and leaned more towards smaller races near State and National Parks that seemed to leave a much bigger impression. But I knew going into Indiana, that my race would obviously have to be on the one and only Indy Speedway!

The IndyMini is the kick off leading to the Indy500 which is held later in the month.


COURSE
This flat course starts and finishes downtown, runs to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (which yes, is not necessarily the best of neighborhoods to get to), passes through a Gold Mile of Indiana's Fallen Heroes, loops around the track even giving you an opportunity to 'kiss the bricks', and then heads back downtown. Your main attraction for this course is obviously the track.
EXPO
Located at the Convention Center downtown, expect to pay parking garage fees to pick up your packet! As soon as you walk in the atmosphere gets you pumped as you see race cars and are handed a free race hat! There is a long wall of encouragement and race course stats. They had a jumbotron up above playing a video of the course that you could watch while you waited in lines.

Packet Pick up was seamless and the Info booth was friendly and able to answer my questions. The vendors were plentiful and I actually was able to do some great shopping!

There were some great photo ops including an Indy car (which they moved to the Finish After Party as well)

Apparently there were guest speakers, which I missed. Meb Keflezighi Boston and NYC winner as well as Olympic medal holder, was also the guest runner and even had his signature on the medal!



ACCOMODATIONS
I found the hotels downtown to be a little over priced (or at least out of my budget) especially once you started adding in outrageous over night parking fees! Because of this, I opted for an AirBnB just on the outskirts of town (aka still walkable to the Expo and Start/Finish about 1.5 miles each way) and I honestly think that was the best deal as I had free parking, but also got to explore the city while on my walk to the race. The AirBnB was also right next to one of the most active streets of the city, MassAve where you will find shops and dining. There also is a Cultural Trail that takes you from park to park within the city to see all the top sites which I ventured on after the race!



WEATHER
Having a little late start near 8a in May, one would be a little nervous on what the temperatures could do. For my pace group, the skies remained overcast the entire course until the very last mile where the sun came out full force. Temps were pleasant in the upper 50s/lower 60s.

PARKING
Being downtown, parking is anywhere you can find it. Indianapolis seems to want to price gauge drivers, so if you have a car, plan to pay $30 for the day. Other options include bike rentals, Uber, walking.

START
With over 30,000 runners, one might be a little worried on performance on the course. However once I learned that you not only are designated a Corral Letter and Number, but an actual Start Time for your group, I was quite happy to learn my pace allowed me to sleep in an additional 30 minutes!
Since they had the exact start time of each corral listed I decided to sleep in and make the best of it! I planned to arrive right at my groups start time and just start running! However, I guess I walked a little fast to the start and had an extra 10 or so minutes to spare. That was plenty of time to hit the porta potties, which were not too bad of a line for such a large race. Looking around, I was quite impressed. First of all the line up seemed to go on for about half a mile, but the sound system was awesome and the dj really had us pumped up! There were even beach balls throughout every corral to keep you entertained! As we approached the actual starting line, I noticed this was the first one out of 86 half marathons that Ive seen it with a digital screen!



ENTERTAINMENT
Like many races over the years, the IndyMini advertised there would be entertainment/music on the course. I always take this with a grain of salt, as I have participated in many (including Rock n Roll) who make the same claim, and I maybe only see about 4 bands in 13 miles. That is not to be said with this race! I very quickly learned that almost every single block (okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but not really) was lined with a different band or dj or high school dummers or cheerleaders, or belly dancers or hula dancers or country dosey do dancers (I guess we are in Indiana)!

What also was located on just about every block was the National Guard, instead of a police officers. I dont know why, but that made me feel even more safe participating in this very large race!

WATER STATIONS
All the stations were properly stocked and a gel was passed out as well. I was a little surprised I didn't see any other type of goodies passed out, by the race or spectators.


SPECTATORS
There were a good amount of spectators and signs throughout the course, especially as you entered/exited the Speedway. However, I am not sure if it was due to security, but the last stretch down to the Finish line was completely empty, not even music, until the very end.


RESULT
I think this may have been my longest drive ever. I drove up from Florida with a pit stop in Chattanooga (exactly half way). I arrived late afternoon, just enough time to hit the Expo, eat dinner, and get some early sleep.

I surprisingly woke up feeling really good for this race. Everything about this race made me smile. Everywhere you looked in the city there was another sign about the Indy500/IndyMini which makes you feel welcomed and pumped up. With all the different surprises in the Expo, to the race start, to the course entertainment, I remained happy the entire time. Entering the Speedway was super exciting. Running the Gold Mile with all Indiana Fallen Heros was extremely moving (so much so, I had a mini panic attack trying to breath while running and crying at the same time!) Kissing the Bricks was also a unique experience I just had to do. They even had a jumbo tron recording us doing so! I left my PinkFeet rock at a park outside the Speedway.

I ran by feel, san pacer, and my body and breathing felt great. I even had another runner reach me and said she had been trying to catch up to me because she wanted to talk about my States back bib. I think I definitely would have had a much better time if I did not have to walk during the Gold Mile, but I wanted to give every single picture the proper respect as I passed by. Plus, after I realized all the ages of them were so young, I couldn't stop crying. I am so blessed to be able to travel as much as I do and participate in all of these races for the past 8 years because of them. They helped keep us safe and free and its just so dang sad their lives were taken so early.


I also stopped and waited to kiss the bricks. People were taking their time doing so, as their friends took a picture. But hey, you gotta keep the tradition! I also really wanted to leave my PinkFeet rock on the course, but I felt weird doing so because of all the security. So, I had to stop and pretend like I was stretching and typing my shoe!

Overall though, I feel I ran a good race and definitely finished happy.



FINISH
Until I realized there wasn't much at the Finish! This really is where the race fell short.
Right after crossing the line, we were handed the traditional race food: bananas, bars, pretzels, cookies. Then we were directed into Military Park and everything was so spread out, you didn't know where to go. There was a band on one side, a dj on the other. I found my chocolate milk (score!) and then the beer tent. But unfortunately the 1 tab on my bib only gave me a 'shot' of beer? Say what? Smallest beer glass ever! They were selling the rest. I then looked everywhere for real food. None. Zelch, Nada. I mean, usually when the race doesn't give you a real beer, they at least have real food. This race basically had neither. They had a huge section blocked off for VIP and another huge section blocked off for 'Race Groups.' I have no idea how you were/are to supposed to be part of either, but it seems they were the ones enjoying themselves. I took the long stroll back to my AirBnB and headed out of Indianapolis.
MEDAL
The medal was unique keeping the tradition of the milk bottle for Speedway winners. I was a little thrown off on having Meb's signature on it instead of a race car driver, but I guess they were trying to combine the two sports.






















SHIRT
I really like the design for the shirt, however the fit is wrong. This long sleeve Medium left me with shoulder seams at my neck and sleeves too short.


OVERALL THOUGHTS
Indianapolis is a very clean, pedestrian friendly city, full of life, culture, history, and lots of tradition.  The race and city was above expectation and I left Indianapolis a little disappointed I didn't plan for more time! I would highly recommend this race for the experience of running on the track and being part of well managed event. If you are looking for an after party, I would suggest looking more into the VIP experience or joining a club!



























AFTER
If you are driving to Indianapolis from the South, there are some great pit stops along the way!

Since I had a long drive back to Florida, I broke it up with a stop at Clifty Falls State Park in the cute small town of Medora, IN which was about 2 hours South of Indianapolis. I planned to camp, but there is also an Inn if you dont want to rough it. Because of the rain, I spent that afternoon in the Clifty Falls Inn lounge area where I ended up watching the KY Derby with a large group of hikers. After the rain past and the next day, I got to explore the waterfall trails as well as the caves and even found an underground waterfall!. This is definitely a State Park to enjoy!



From there, I headed to touristy town of Gatlinburg about 6 hours from Indianapolis, next to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park is amazing! I rode my first alpine mountain roller coaster, went on the first US glider, and then explored some waterfall trails in the park where I got to see my first Black Bear! A momma and two cubs were right off the side of the road! There are tons on inexpensive motel options, but why not opt for a glamping experience? I found this awesome safari tent on Airbnb just 20 minutes from town !





13.1-2:27
State #36
Half Marathon #85

Pink Feet's half marathon calendar runs from March to February with the final race being the full marathon at The DONNA Marathon! I am on Year 8 of a 10 year mission to complete the 50 states while also running a half marathon a month; all to help spread the word of breast cancer prevention, early detection, and living a healthy lifestyle including running and walking. My goal is to raise $100,000 for breast cancer charities. Current donations are going to The DONNA Marathon whose beneficiaries are The Mayo Clinic and Donna Foundation.  


or mail a check to: 
Donna Foundation
11762 Marco Beach Dr Ste 6
Jacksonville FL 32224
Memo-PinkFeet



No comments: