13th Annual-DONNA (Half) Marathon 2020



13th Annual DONNA (Half) Marathon


What better way to make a comeback from ankle surgery, than being recognized as a Top Fundraiser for DONNA (Half) Marathon weekend!!....What does that mean, you ask?...VIP All the Way Baby!! 

-Complimentary 3nt weekend at the Oceanfront Seahorse Motel literally WITHIN race village/start/finish

-Invite to the VIP social event on Friday

-Invite to the VIP Ruth Chris After Party on the Finish Line

Yes Please! 

OVERALL

I feel very blessed that I received this upgraded experience in not only my comeback year since ankle surgery, but also because it seemed like it was an appropriate close to a chapter. Not only has running been very difficult since surgery and I am literally finding myself back at Day 1 of becoming a runner, but all my time and energy has been put into caring for my father whos health is declining and making a transitional move into his house. During this very emotional and physically difficult time, I also learned that my employer will no longer be providing the grants in such a way that they have in the past. It is devastating news to learn, but I am so appreciative of how the partnership has provided so much over this past 13 years. Everything just all seemed to be a chapter that was closing and this upgraded VIP experience made it a time to remanence and celebrate all that I/We have done. 

The run itself was extremely difficult for me but I was thankful for my friend's support who met me at multiple locations along the course! 

EXPO

Since all races moved to the Beaches this year, the Expo was moved closer at the Morocco Shrine. Unfortunately with new things, come kinks. I ended up waiting in what was the longest line of the 14 years. I thought shopping first while the line went down would help, but the line never went down. Alas, I still got to see friends, win some goodies with some vendors, and buy some motivational running gear. 

HOTEL

The Seahorse Motel is an iconic motel in the heart of the Atlantic Beaches, also right smack at the race start/finish line. The oceanfront room with balcony was a perfect set up to kick back and relax; in room and on the sand. Oh and as well at their tiki bar! Being a full moon weekend with perfect Florida winter cold but not too cold weather made the overall experience top notch!

FRI VIP SOCIAL

Friday night we met up with other top fundraisers, sponsors, race organizers, and charity recipients. Held at the Sawgrass Marriott, this event has always been my favorite, with snacks and drinks located on beautiful property. This year we had speeches given from charity recipients and it really helps to keep things into perspective on why we continue to do what we do. 


SATURDAY

Saturday we spent the day lounging on the balcony and beach. Even happened to have a Girl Scout bring us some after race cookies! We had dinner at few of the local spots in which I had won certificates for! 


SUNDAY-RACE DAY




I woke up extremely nervous. Even watching the sunrise from the room didnt seem to calm me. My training only took me to 8miles and the last 13 miles I had done was in Alaska 6 months prior! I knew I could make the distance, I just didnt know how bad it would feel. I didnt want to injury myself, but I didnt want to not be able to complete. Top that all off with, I wanted my comeback year to be of a finish time of where I was before ankle surgery. (yea I know, looking back I realize pretty much impossible)

Nothing felt right the entire run. Every step felt like it took so much effort. The weather started off nice and cool, but within a few miles I was already melting. Sweat would not stay out of my eyes, making me constantly have to wipe, which took away from focus on my foot placement, and i had still not overcome placement fears. The tracking app for the race wasnt working, so I had to constantly check in with my friend who was meeting me along the course to motivate me and in case something happened. I was excited it was a new course for me this year, but everything just felt off. Even the cheering spectators that I love so much were not helping. I was too much in my head, focusing too much on every step, and how hard it just seemed. I missed the times were running was effortless and fast (at least for a few miles). Disappointed in myself by M10 I just gave in to not reaching my average half marathon time/goal and started partying with the spectators who line the course with concessions (ahem, mimosa anyone?!) I changed my mind instantly and reminded myself of how far I have actually come this past year.....I was in a wheelchair this exact time last year!!! And yes it may be hard today, but I am still doing it, I never gave up, and one day I will be back to where I was. 



VIP AFTER PARTY

As soon as I stopped running, my ankle tightened up. Sharp pains started and we knew we had to ice right away. Thank God for the Ruth Chris VIP tent! We grabbed our steak, shrimp and sweet potatoes and endless mimosas and iced the ankle, watching the rest of the runners trickle in. 


Naps were taken and then we had a Second VIP After Party at our fearless leader Donna's house! Tacos were had and hammock swings taken! It was a beautiful night under the full moon in the back yard! 


Back at the hotel, I continued celebrating at the Lemon Bar with my out of state runner friend! 

FINAL THOUGHTS

Overall it was an awesome weekend and just what I needed for a comeback! A chapter may be closed for me in the top fundraiser world. A chapter may even be closed on running full marathons again; or even half. Who knows. All I can do is take it day by day, focus on me and my familys health, and see where the world takes me. Either way, that ankle never stopped me! Oh, and my time wasnt all that bad ;) 

Half Marathon #93

13.1miles- 2:39





No comments: