14th Annual DONNA Half Marathon Feb 2021






 Oh 2020...what a year! The year the world shut down and forced us to separate. The Donna Marathon crew made early decisions that the 2021 race would need to be virtual, regardless of what the Covid19 status was several months away, because there are just too many participants that are survivors at risk. The mission must go on, though, so they appropriately held virtual events and the theme was Everywhere, Together. Packets would be mailed or picked up at the Donna office. No Expo. No VIP parities. No race. You run when and where you could and submit your information. Fundraise as normal. That was that. 

On top of the struggles of Covid, I was dealing with my own battles. March 2020, Covid shut down visitation to nursing homes with no warning. Dad was suddenly left alone. I never got to give him a last hug and explanation. His health declined so rapidly from them. I tried the window visit with the phone but it was just horrible, not being able to see or hear well, and not even strong enough to hold the phone. It was so heartbreaking. But he held on. I have a feeling he was holding on for this lockdown to end. But I finally received the phone call that it was happening. Thank God they finally let me in. I got to be by his side for 4 days until he finally was at peace. Sept to November was a whirlwind dealing with what one goes through managing the estate. We took him 'home' to Minnesota in November and had the most magical ceremony at his hunting stand. 

December quickly approached and I was looking at the final days of training for Donna which was just not going so hot. Back in August I had actually broken my 'other' foot  (remember I had broken my ankle just a couple years prior) -a jones fracture at the 5th metatarsal by just simply twisting and falling on a lip/raised crack in a driveway. I was only in a cast for a couple months, but it was enough to make the running and walking pause and then having to take it easy when i did start to incorporate running again. I already knew I didnt want to tackle the full marathon virtually, but this definitely sealed the deal that Id be lucky if Id even complete the half marathon without foot issues. Once again my marathon 'comeback' was postponed. Race day mindset was just do what I could do.

Then the end of January came and my pup of 15 years health took a sudden turn with heart failure. The next couple of weeks through race day were a blur, constantly babying, holding and loving on my pup. We had little sleep and lots of hallucinating for both of us.

Constance and I decided we still wanted to run the Donna race course to make it feel as close to a race day as possible, despite us being virtual. We Started and Finished at my Donna brick, "she believed she could, so she did." I brought my pup, Molly with me who slept soundly in the truck as we ran. It was an overcast cool and windy day in the 50s. I thought it would be perfect running weather for me, but within the first mile I knew my body was in no mood to run. I just couldnt breathe. We took it super easy and did a run/walk of 30/1:15. But I just could not catch my breathe the entire time. (my monitor later agreed. I ran 92% at maximum heart rate effort) 


We headed north thru Neptune and Atlantic Beaches and actually saw some other runners, some Donna yard decorations, and even Donna and Tim themselves! All of that really helped make it feel somewhat of an actual race day! The last 5miles or so miles my body was just shot. I ended up telling Constance at the last couple miles to just go on without me, as I know she was ready to get it over with. I really thought with everything that was going on in my life, the motivation from all the emotions would just come out of me and get me to run. But i was just already too drained. Mentally, emotionally, physically. I honestly dont even remember most the day. I was living in a fog.

We Finished, exhausted, but we finished. I got my pup out of the truck and all of it didnt matter anymore. The results werent important. We completed it. We still did it. We didnt let Covid or life get in the way. We got out there and continued the fight to finish breast cancer! We had our own finish line celebration at my brick, got a pedicure, and made a fabulous dinner. 


Half Marathon #94

13.1 miles-2:53

No comments: