15th Annual Donna (Half) Marathon-2022



Ya! The race community is Back! 

Having so many races cancelled because of breaking my ankle, trying so hard to get back to the full marathon distance while also dealing with huge life changes of taking care of my ailing father, moving cities, becoming a first time home owner alone, breaking my other foot, losing my father and taking care of the affairs, then shortly after losing my pup of 15years, and starting over with a brand new puppy....needless to say it has been a very difficult  but tremendously exciting time in my life the past few years!! Running has just taken a back burner with all that has gone on. Thus, I once again downgraded to the half marathon.

The good news? My feet and ankle are great. It's a matter of my fitness catching back up! 2022 is gonna be my year! I have resigned up for the remaining 9 states for me to finish a half marathon in each of the 50 states! And it all starts with DONNA. 

A knee flare-up from overuse kept me sidelined the month prior to race day which had me full of nerves on race day, but thankfully i was surrounded my familiar faces! 



The unpredictable February Florida beach weather decised to play a game of a NorEaster. High winds and rain were in the forecast. I kinda was still okay with that though...at least its not hot!! ...until my umbrella at the start blew away! Lol



But lets back up a little. Expo was held downtown and a 15k was also available this year downtown. The expo was smaller than normal, other pre race fesrivities were still cancelled due to covid and the start/finish village was also scaled down. Racing was back but it was going to take time for it to get back to where it was befire. 

This year had a New Race Start/Finish at SeaWalk Pavillion in Jacksonville Beach....my old hometown the previous decade. I got into my truck to drive the 40minute drive and the Dont Stop Believing song was on!  

It felt good to be back at the beach. Parking was anywhere you could find a spot. I had no issue being an hour and half early. Weather wasn't the best to hang out at start and thankfully my friend was staying at the hotel right there so we stayed warm until last minute. 

Lineup seemed a little unorganized and pretty much a free for all, but I just went with the "it is what it is" attitude....from my knee, to the weather...to even everything that I have been thru the past few years...nothings gonna stop me. I look over and someone is passing a bottle of Fireball😲🤔...it is what it is!🤣

The half marathon course ran the 2nd half of the old full marathon course. Which felt very weird to me, as I have still not made it back to the 26mile distance. 

Spectators were still out in the rain cheering us on. I even hit a mimosa stand around m10



Surprisingly my knee held up great for the race. Last couple miles were difficult but mainly from being not in my best shape. The rain even held off except a little bout around this time as well. 

The Galloway pacers were out in full force as always and I just made sure the 3hour mark didn't pass me. There are so many memories on this course. I tried to just replay the 15years of running this course in my head. I even had a guy yelling out motivating me as I was grunting every walk break. But I did it! I finished with staying consistent with my run/walk the entire course.



Cora and hot soup was at the Finishers Village and I got a much needed stretch. I also got an invite into the VIP tent with my friend  where we had mimosas and Taco Lu tacos! We stayed and cheered on the final runners. To be able to stand there and tell so many runners "congratulations you did it!" was a whole other level feeling for me! I had made so much progress in my beginning years of running and then knocked all the way down having to start completely over, but just still not giving up I was needing those words too. I know what it feels like to work hard and make it and then also work hard and still not be there. Both deserve that congratulations. Both STILL DID IT! 





No comments: