Garmin Oz Run-Olathe, Kansas-State 42




The OZ Run was one of the races I had to cancel after I broke my ankle in 2018/2019. Then Covid happened and they went virtual only. Finally racing is back!  How can you not run OZ when running in Kansas? 



The race was set in Olathe in Southeast Kansas, home of the Garmin headquarters, and a quick drive from Kansas City airport 

I ended up staying at an Airbnb in Tonganoxie KS about 30minutes from Olathe for a nice country retreat. I wish there was more time to explore Olathe as I was seeing good advertising of a bbq trail and some wineries. Next time. With my limited 2 days, what I 'had' to do was visit the OZ Museum and Winery, being I just ran the OZ half marathon, right?! It was about an hour and half drive, but it was just enough to see that Kansas really is just farmland.

Packet Pick up was small with a handful of vendors, mostly local, so I didnt really have a chance to shop. BUT they did have Stretch Lab there, which is also local to Jacksonville. I got a well needed stretch to get ready to run. 

Start was at the Garmin headquarters which had a parking garage but they also offered a shuttle from where packet pick up was. It was a little weird they made the bus sit in the same garage traffic though. 


There was plenty of porta potties and the parking garage sheltered us from the whipping winds. 

Unfortunately I had been trying to fight off an allergy cold the past couple days so I went into the run knowing i just needed to take it easy and keep my breathing low so I wouldn't pull it into my chest. It was a little warmer than expected, starting 70 degrees but there was a distant storm lingering with head winds predicted up to 30-40mph which made it quite interesting a few times as I was pushed sideways running. Thankfully all the houses blocked most of the wind.

This Springtime slightly hilly course is mainly a neighborhood run beautifully filled with daffodils, tulips, and dandelions that lined the street like the yellow brick road! We even had a run through a forest with still bare trees on a paved trail that reminded me of the wicked woods from the movie. 



Each station had Wizard of Oz themed signs out. Even one had the flying monkeys (disappointed my camera didnt save that pic!) Stations were prepped except somehow the 2nd station was already out of water/gatorade and the 10k hadnt even started yet. I didnt quite understand at first, but then remembered, oh yea, this is what its like being the back of the pack! About m2.5 there was a turn around at a cone and when we hit the m3 sign shortly after, we realized someone messed up the markers. The rest of the course would be off by .3-.4. I couldnt help but laugh at that as the sponsor was Garmin after all!  On the other hand they did fantastic with every corner having a volunteer or city patrol helping with traffic and race flow.



I felt pretty good the entire course. My ankle still surprises me how well it has held up. I dontt even feel it anymore running.

I chatted with a woman who spotted my running the 50 states for breast cancer shirt and she continued to share with me she is currently going thru it herself. I tell her about The DONNA and she was aware of it as she works for Mayo Clinic! Small world! It has been so long since I've been able to chat and spread the word like this. Although it was short, it reminded me why I started this journey so many years ago! 

The last mile it started to sprinkle. Which I was fine with as it kept me cool. I made sure before I crossed the finish line, to turn around and run the extra mileage they mismarked. I found out later i wasnt the only crazy one to do that! Hey, if im going to check off a state, gotta make sure i hit that 13.1! 

Windy and rainy, I crossed the finish, grabbed my medal, and headed to the huge Garmin sign to take my picture! It wasnt until probably 30min later, I realized i missed the entire finish line chute where all the food was as well as entire cast of the Wizard of Oz! 96 half marathons and never had I done that before!! To my defense, the finish line was outside, and the 'chute' was in the garage. Thankfully they let me back in! They had burrito, chips, banana, local beer. But best of all they had FOUR different stretch/PT companies set up for free stretch/massag/etc! Of course I did two of them! 



There was a fantastic dj getting the crowd singing out loud and dancing and keeping us entertained!

There was also a Senior Walk which I found quite interesting and I ended up on the shuttle back with them! They were so great talking about still being able to be active and participate! We all agreed that we were all winners that day! 

Each year the race focuses on a different character of The Wizard of Oz. This year was the Wicked Witch. The Finishers shirt and medal are cute and kept with the theme.




All in all I thoroughly enjoyed the theme of the Oz Run even despite the distance mishap. I feel they could have the participants involved more leading up to race day (they even block posts online) and maybe even costume contest since it is afterall a theme run. But maybe things are still recovering from Covid. Or maybe it's just that small town feel. 

After recovering in the Airbnb hot tub, I headed to Wamego. The Oz Museum was actually quite interesting and had the movie playing as well as informative movies of the making and cast. Lots of collectables and artifacts. I would have stayed longer but there was a Tulip festival/vendors/food trucks and I wanted to visit the OZ Winery as well. Unfortunately because of the festival the winery wasnt doing their full tasting, but they were giving 2 free samples...which while chatting with the gal, she ended up hooking me up with more. It was entertaining enough to say you did it. Grapes are shipped in and they process on site. Shipments are available as well if you need a theme wine. 



That night back in Tonganoxie, a tornado warning came brewing thru! The storm ended up passing just outside of where i was staying. It was really cool to watch but thankfully I never saw word of a twister and it was just a strong storm with no damage. It was just enough to complete my Kansas experience! 


State 42

13.1-2:48

Half Marathon 96

Show your support with a donation to the DONNA Foundation!



No comments: